Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A ReEmergence. . .of Sorts

     So where have I been you might ask?  Or not!  Either way, it has been quite some time since I rambled about on the interconnected medium known as the "blog".  While I have thought recently that resuming my blog habits might be a good way to bolster my job search, profess my love and knowledge of all things "green" (well, not all of them), and just seem more hip in general, I have to admit that it was actually watching the movie "Julia and Julia" that pushed me inspired over the edge of procrastination.

     Yes, it's true...signing up for a cable TV subscription in order to watch my beloved Red Sox has resulted in a chivalrous compromise, bringing me ever closer to the world of "Chick Flicks".  And yet, being a closet Iron Chef, I found myself engaged in the movie long enough to resonate with the main character's dilemma. 
    
     Finding herself about to be thirty and dancing the lines between youth and responsibility, boredom and nightlife, Julie Powell decides to embark on a mission of cooking all 524 recipes in Julia Child's first book, Mastering the Art of French Cooking.  To make things even more interesting (read "harder"), she chooses to complete the task in 1 year and within the confines of her tiny, Queens apartment.  Oh, and she decides to start a blog that details the trials and tribulations of the journey.

     Alright...so I did fall asleep at some point during the film, but I connected with Julie's plight enough to get back to my old, posting ways.  Having turned thirty during this last year, moved to Burlington, Vermont with my fiancee Sarah, and finally finished my long-awaited Bachelor's degree, I figured my career would really start to take off.  I thought I finally had all of the pieces in place to build a strong foundation from which to take off from...maybe I do.  The point is that I don't really feel like my wings have taken flight yet, despite all of the training, knowledge, and credentials I have racked up over the last few years.  So here I am, ready to embark upon some sort of mission similar to Julie's odyssey of French cooking.

     So what will the voyage entail...perhaps a weekly review of 52 supposedly, "green" products in 365 days, or maybe the chronicles of my search for a dream, "green" job, conceivably giving myself 1 year to attain this position.  I might just create a publisher's clearing house of the best renewable energy rebates, energy efficiency incentives, and green building products that are out on the market today...or those that aren't yet!  The reality is that Greening the American Dream will likely be a melting pot of these ideas and others.  I invite you to join me for the ride and help steer this green bandwagon down the right path.  Besides, what else have you got to do...it's only the planet and our humanity that's at stake!

No comments: